TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > 1/64 and Smaller > ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE > ZipZaps Mods and Projects

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
zipped up tight!
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: MA
Posts: 428
Clutch! (sorta)

I'm not sure if this does anything yet, but here's the general idea.

The drive gear hole is enlarged so it spins freely on the axle. A slot is cut in the gear so as to accept a pin that extrudes from the wheel. Once assembled, the drive gear will have some "play" before it is engaged by the wheel pin. In essence, the motor and drive gear start spinning before the wheels are forced to spin.

I was hoping this might give the car a little boost out of the hole, though it might just cause the tires to spin easier... testing is definitely in order.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch.jpg (24.4 KB, 143 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Michael.mt2k's Avatar
Michael.mt2k Michael.mt2k is offline
Another old modder.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Atco, NJ USA
Posts: 143
Thumbs up

Interesting idea!

I'm looking forward to seeing how that works out.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-03-2006, 12:02 AM
frizzen frizzen is offline
Tool User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Indy, IN, USA
Posts: 442
Send a message via AIM to frizzen Send a message via Yahoo to frizzen
Might help, but I'm not sure that it'll let it slip enough to get RPM up enough for the horsepower to help it with the lack of torque. You might want to add some mass to the geartrain on the motor side of that, otherwise it might not be able to do anything more than *free spin, boom, bog, spin up normally*
__________________
Trying to quench our need for 1/70 scale speed!
-
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Michael.mt2k's Avatar
Michael.mt2k Michael.mt2k is offline
Another old modder.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Atco, NJ USA
Posts: 143
Like a flywheel or something!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Jazz32
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
If this is going on a higher power system, I think you're going to get a lot of wear on the plastic gear. It's definately a unique thought and I'd be interesting in what it does. I would have done it with a blue set first rather than wrecking the fastest gears.... I have a few extra blue, but all my red are being used. Let us know.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-03-2006, 05:44 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
zipped up tight!
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: MA
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally posted by frizzen
... otherwise it might not be able to do anything more than *free spin, boom, bog, spin up normally*
Yeah, I was thinking the *BOOM* might do a "little" something. Actually I was pretty bored and it was simple enough to try. Someone mentioned adding mass to the motor side somehow, and that sounds like another really good idea...it would make the *BOOM* have more of an impact.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-03-2006, 08:06 PM
Michael.mt2k's Avatar
Michael.mt2k Michael.mt2k is offline
Another old modder.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Atco, NJ USA
Posts: 143
Maybe you could get a similar effect without the added mechanical concerns.

Well, it just transfers the concerns to electrical/electronic ones!

What I was thinking was maybe the use of a cap or something to give a slight boost at launch.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-03-2006, 08:43 PM
frizzen frizzen is offline
Tool User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Indy, IN, USA
Posts: 442
Send a message via AIM to frizzen Send a message via Yahoo to frizzen
But by using the fastest gears (least torque) it'll make the difference (if any) much more apparent.

Anyway, looks good. Keep us updated!
__________________
Trying to quench our need for 1/70 scale speed!
-
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-04-2006, 08:20 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
zipped up tight!
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: MA
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael.mt2k
...What I was thinking was maybe the use of a cap or something to give a slight boost at launch.
I've been working on the capacitor NOS system for quite a while now, though I've never been successful. If only I was an electrical engineer...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-04-2006, 08:47 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
zipped up tight!
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: MA
Posts: 428
RESULTS!

Initial results are in!

Red Motor, Red Idler, orange (clutched) drive gear, Stock 4th Gen SE.

First tested with the pin forward in the slot so no play available.

3 foot trap, 5 run average: .8346 eta / best run .820


Second test with play available.

3 foot trap, 5 run average: .8166 eta / best run .808


BOOYAAH! IT WORKS! There is certainly a difference in accelleration. However, there is also more wheel spin off the start using the slot, so it's my bet that if traction issues were solved, there would be even better numbers. Exciting news from the engineering front!

...and then there is balance. I imagine this axle setup will have balance issues at higher speed. But that's for another day.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
zipped up tight!
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: MA
Posts: 428
Video

here's what it looks like in slow-mo, though not quite slow enough, you'll need to go frame by frame to really see it. The colored dot goes from red (no power), yellow (power to motor), green (power to wheels).

200k WMV Video

Last edited by Steve; 03-04-2006 at 10:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-04-2006, 10:51 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
zipped up tight!
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: MA
Posts: 428
another video

Here it is with a body and a little added CG for effect. If you really look close, you can actually see the car lurch and twist from the torque, I had no idea these little things could do that.

1MB WMV video
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-04-2006, 06:57 PM
frizzen frizzen is offline
Tool User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Indy, IN, USA
Posts: 442
Send a message via AIM to frizzen Send a message via Yahoo to frizzen
That's a very nice set of hole-shots!!! Didn't expect nearly that much wheel spin out of it, how sticky of rubber are you running? So am I seeing silicone or foam tires in your future?

So is your 3' trap roughly scale for the 60' trap? Anyway, killing 0.020 /sec at the traps that close to the tree is amazing! Glad to hear it doesn't go *boom, bog* but *boom, spin* I wish the KITT Racer gears were still possible to find....

VERY nice to see what happens when you can basically wind it up a bit and side-step the clutch!
__________________
Trying to quench our need for 1/70 scale speed!
-
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
zipped up tight!
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: MA
Posts: 428
Right now, I'm using the Radiohack wide tires, with the shiny rubber sanded off, scuffs if you will. I wish I could find silicon tires that fit. I know they make them for slot cars, but I can't find a shop near me that carries them. I'd like to get my hands on them first before buying them just to see for scale and fit purposes. I don't think foam tires would help my cause, my track surface is just paper (foam board), so unless a lot of traction compound was used, I don't think they'd hook up.

As for the trap, it's 3 foot (1:1), so in 1/64 speak that's 192 feet. I tried a scale 60 foot trap, but my timer is not accurate enough to measure it. In any event, if my math is right, the car averages roughly 240MPH scale speed in that 3 foot span.

In regards to traction, I'm working on a pro-stock dragger with the batteries moved to the rear of the car (mid engine mount). I'm hoping to experiment with weight transfer, such that the weight of the car really sits on the rear tires during launch. I don't want to add weight to do it, just move whats already there around.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clutch? civic freak XMODS Mods and Projects 4 07-04-2004 12:52 PM
clutch lsd lankyj XMODS 2 02-08-2004 01:01 PM
paper clutch LSD!! spinitsidewayz! XMODS Mods and Projects 22 02-07-2004 10:00 PM
slipper clutch misterbungle Dynamite Rocket Racer 1 02-24-2003 01:41 PM
engaging and disengaging clutch stuff.. cowfish_29 Bit Science 19 01-29-2003 07:29 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Mini Inferno Sale - Up to $85 Instant Savings!
Micro-T Hop-Ups
RC18R, M18, Micro RS4, Mini-LST, TamTech-Gear, Minizilla, RC18T, RC18B, RC18MT
shop.tinyrc.com Products
Tiny RC Community News
[03/17/10] Kyosho Mini-Z F1 MF-010 SP2... : The Kyosho Mini-Z F1 MF-010 SP2 Carbon Limited ASF 2.4GHz Tx-Less Chassis Set - more»
[10/23/09] Kyosho Mini-Z MR-03 In Stock! : The Mini-Z MR-03 (http://mr-03.com) is now In Stock and Pre-Orders are shipping! - more»
[09/06/09] Labor Day Savings - $5 Off... : Labor Day traditionally marks the unofficial end of summer - but we're not ready to let go! So, we - more»
Mini-Z, Mini-Z Racer, MR-02, MA-010
M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
Mini Inferno, Mini Inferno ST, half EIGHT, 1/16, 16th scale
Epoch, Indoor Racer, 1/43, 43rd scale
E-Savage, eSavage, eZilla, e-Zilla, HPI
Robots, Bots, Bipeds, Wheeled, Manoi, Roomba, NXT, Lego, Hacking
Crawling, Crawlers, Micro, RC, Losi Mini-Rock Crawler, Duratrax Cliff Climber
Kyosho Minium, Caliber 120, Minium Forums
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, Mini Inferno Hop-Ups, Mini Inferno Parts, M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts