TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 04-22-2007, 10:38 AM

Wheel Loader Liebherr 531 (1/87 model)

Hi,

currently, I am working on a 1:87 scale model of the Liebherr 531 (L531) wheel loader. The full scale version weighs approx. 12 metric tons. The German manufacturer Wiking sells several polystyrene versions (different paint schemes). Here is a snapshot of the model I originally bought:

In the long run, I intend to repaint the model (yellow base color + weathering).

I built a brass frame, a steering gear box (articulated steering, gear transmission ratio=361, driven by a stepper motor), a main transmission gear box (transmission ratio=27, stepper motor),

added rear lights, and adapted my IR remote control accordingly.

Here is the current status:

The engine compartment cover is still in the paint shop. For now, the model has to carry its power supply (135mAh Lipoly) in the bucket. There is room for a 50mAh LiPoly underneath the main motor and I am planning to leave room for another 50mAh LiPoly in the front section when I motorize the bucket and the fork mechanism ... probably within the next 6 months or so.

Several cosmetic issues need to be addressed: (1) The current aluminum rims look awful, (2) I need to gain some experience airbrushing and weathering models before I open up my Liebherr wheel loader model paint shop, (3) I need to add a battery cover below the main engine (or hide the battery with a clever paint job as Thorsten suggested), (4) the main gear transmission ratio of 27 is sufficient for the model to negotiate a 20° slope. For more power, I could increase the main motor's PWM duty cycle (i.e. change one of the EEPROM parameters) or change the gear -- I will try the former option first.

Fred

P.S.: original thread: http://www.tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23333
Old 04-22-2007, 11:37 AM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
awsome!! i'd love to see video of it.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
... i'd love to see video of it.
Hi,

my digicam is pretty lousy at taking videos (poor spatial and temporal resolution) . I will still give it a try, but I am not sure I will be successful.

Regards,

Fred
Old 04-25-2007, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
awsome!! i'd love to see video of it.
Hi,

please bear with me, this is the first time I used the macro mode of my old digicam for taking a video and the first time I attempted to edit a video. I tried controlling the R/C TX and the camera simultaneously. In the "Lights" scene, only the indicator lights and the rear lights (+license plate lights [the license plate itself is still missing!]) are shown; both functions are controlled by the transmitter. I am still working on an algorithm for the brake lights to turn on when the vehicle decelerates. The reverse warning lights turn on automatically when the wheel loader is in reverse, but this is not shown.

Here you go: http://fhs-consulting.com/mm/L531_00.wmv (approx. 2.5 MB)

Regards,

Fred

Last edited by Fred; 11-25-2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: video size added, URL changed
Old 04-25-2007, 06:49 PM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
very nice video! very impressive tttt you've built
Old 05-08-2007, 12:47 AM

My God....I still can't figure out where you people get the patience and skill to make these things. I must have tried three times, but gave up each time after finding out how much the parts would cost, or that I would have to order things all the way from Germany.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:46 PM

Hi truckian,

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckian View Post
My God....I still can't figure out where you people get the patience...
You are right, patience is the main building material. When you build your own gear, expect a mishap now and then and the part which took many hours to make ending up in the trash.

Quote:
I must have tried three times, but gave up each time after finding out how much the parts would cost, or that I would have to order things all the way from Germany.
You got a point there. I only bought the original polysterene model, brass stock, pinions etc., motors, LEDs, and controllers. All the remaining components are homemade, including transmissions and software. I do have the added advantage of living in Germany where module 0.2 pinions etc. are fairly easy to come buy at acceptable shipping costs. Special cements, various types of solder, drill and milling bits and other disposable items add to the bill of materials.

BTW: I just heard that "mikroantriebe.de" will soon open up an English language version of their webshop.

Here is the main gear that went into the trash (gear box, gear frame, split bearings and all -- although everything seems to be running well in this shot):

Maybe you would like to let us know where excatly things did not work out for you -- group members here might be able to point out more successful strategies.

Good luck,

Fred

Last edited by Fred; 05-11-2007 at 12:17 PM. Reason: typos, information added
Old 05-09-2007, 10:34 AM
I process, therefore I am

Beautiful work! Very impressive. True micro machine.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:25 AM

This looks awesome! Very impressive work. I have been away from this site for a while, and what a pleasant surprise.
I like to know whether you were able to solve the problem with hiding the battery. Keep us up updated. The video is really cool!!

And thanks for the PM.

-Prasanna.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalkurap View Post
... I like to know whether you were able to solve the problem with hiding the battery. Keep us up updated. The video is really cool
-Prasanna.
Hi Prasanna,

thanks for your kind comments. Unfortunately, I had to spend the last couple of weeks hospitalized and will not be discharged home until next week. Although I do not intend to stop my micromodel activities, I am afraid I will need to slow down significantly while I receive several more courses of chemotherapy. In addition, my mobility is somewhat limited due to bone cancer.

In my hospital ward, there is no WLAN/Internet access -- an issue I intend to change as quickly as possible because I expect to be in and out of that ward for the following months. Today, I managed to get access to a computer... Looking forward to being back home next week.

All the best,

Fred
Old 09-11-2007, 01:01 PM

Fred,

It has been a while since I logged into this site. I am sorry to know about your health conditions. I wish you good luck with your recovery. Hopefully you are back to building models by now. If you have anymore information about the wheelloader please share with us.

-Prasanna.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:55 AM

Hi Prasanna,

thanks for your concern and good wishes. At this point, it does not look like I am going to work on this model for a while. I will certainly report back if I make any progress with the wheel loader bucket mechanism.

Regards,

Fred
Old 09-19-2007, 11:55 PM
Proud to be Pinoy :)

Smile

Fred, am hoping for your quick recovery, get well soon bro!..

[