TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > 1/24 and Smaller > XMODS > XMODS Gallery

Old 02-14-2005, 04:57 PM
TinyRC Pro

a quick question...how many coats of actual paint did you use???...not primer or clear coat
Old 02-15-2005, 01:51 AM
Wide Open Throttle

Quote:
Originally posted by BigStang
a quick question...how many coats of actual paint did you use???...not primer or clear coat
hard to say.. i did rotate it a lot, but i use short, light bursts of paint. i stopped when i covered everything and got nice color change effects.i never really waited in between coats, i spray it so light that by the time i get all the way around the car, the original section is practically dry and ready to be sprayed again.

the color chanign paint is something u have to experiment with.

and u dont want to lay it on thick or else you lose the lines in the body.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:35 PM

what you use to mask the windows?

RSX...FWD..soft tread F & hard tread R tires..gloss black skyline wheels..crystal clear headlights..euro taillights..4.5 tie rod..lights..red suspension arms..red springs..alloy nuts
white Supra...RWD..doubled rear stock tires..white 5 spoke wheels(from 1st RS upgrade)..lowered..st.2 drift..lights..alloy nuts
350Z...Supra wheels..chrome exhaust tips..lowered..lights..lifted rear with spacers for leveled stance..alloy nuts..body match painted supra wheels
black Skyline...AWD..RSX wheels..lowered..all orange painted silvers..st.2 drift..lights..yellow springs..alloy nuts
67' Camaro...lights..reversed rear wheels..alloy nuts
NSX..RSX wheels..smoked headlight housing..lights..alloy nuts
black Civic...lights..lowered..Skyline clip..black Supra wheels
yellow Skyline, outdoor car..LITHS..AWD - front LSD & locked rear..drift tires or hard tires..dipped 9T st. 2 motor..black chassis, rear upper deck & motor holders..yellow springs...rear monoshock..F&R alloy cups, shafts, and knuckles
F150 mods include fets, 7.4V liths, st1 motor with stock gearing, F&R gpm diffs monster tires, bearings, lift kit and 4WD.
silver Supra on evo chassis, liths, AWD, lowering kit, wide rear stance, st2, bearings, 1.5 TR, F&R gpm knuckles
G35 rolling chassis
H2 rolling chassis
Cobra,rolling chassis
red Supra SOLD
65' Mustang...SOLD
Corvette... SOLD
WRX...SOLD
blue Civic...SOLD
Old 02-16-2005, 11:34 PM
Wide Open Throttle

Quote:
Originally posted by newbitowner
what you use to mask the windows?
3m scotch brand painters tape and a sharp xacto knife.
cheap masking tape allows the paint to bleed a little.
u get what u pay for.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:58 PM
TinyRC Pro

i've just finished with the primer....it came out flawless...no bubbles, runs etc... im excited how its gonna look i bought the red/blue kit
Old 02-17-2005, 06:28 PM
TinyRC Pro

about painting the mirage on...what do the directions mean when it says "allow to get sticky between coats" i really dont wannna mess any thing up on this project so im being extra careful
Old 02-17-2005, 10:45 PM
Wide Open Throttle

"sticky" means you dont have to wait till its all dry before doing another coat. 5 minutes is good enough.

you will get the hang of it.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:15 PM
TinyRC Pro

i finally finished ...i was really surprised on how easy it was....i will post some pictures in about a week...
Old 02-21-2005, 03:35 PM
DechYe

You painted when it was too humid and you didnt get a full coat everytime you painted. Not trying to bash on your paint job but it dosent seem that "colorful."

Heres the best shot I've gotten of my chameleon paint jobs,

Practice makes perfect,
DechYe
Old 02-21-2005, 03:56 PM
TinyRC Pro

what is that a bumper from?
Old 02-21-2005, 07:16 PM
Wide Open Throttle

Quote:
Originally posted by DechYe
You painted when it was too humid and you didnt get a full coat everytime you painted. Not trying to bash on your paint job but it dosent seem that "colorful."

i didnt have the clearcoat on it in those pics(as you can see by looking at the windows), so yes, the full color
does not show thru. after clearcoating i also use polishing compound and top it off with some zymol wax.

yours is looking good.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:30 PM
DechYe

The front bumber is a custom one I made for one of my RSXs (you can see it in buy sell or trade)

Clint, I wanna see some updates. On the one photo it was paint then the flat black. that only happens when its humid. Maybe I was wrong. Lemme see what she looks like now.

DechYe
Old 02-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Wide Open Throttle

i wont be home until late next week so no pics for a while..but
beleive me.. my camera sucks (1MP), it looks awesome in person
and it color shifts the way it should.
ive done various car parts, computer parts, other rc cars and my racing helmet with mirage. been thru at least 7 sets. humidity during ny winters is nonexistent. my house has very dry air and the garage is 3000sq ft with propane heat(12 car private performance shop for me and a bud). we also have a sheilded rear exit fan for fumes, compressed air, sprayers and a powder coater.

Last edited by Clint; 02-22-2005 at 03:19 AM.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:36 PM
Wide Open Throttle

but i _am_ jealous of the creativity that some of you hobby airbrusher guys have. some of the rc and computer case airbrush jobs ive seen are amazing.

Last edited by Clint; 02-21-2005 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:46 PM
TinyRC Pro

Quote:
Originally posted by Clint
i wont be home until late next week so no pics for a while..but
beleive me.. my camera sucks (1MP), it looks awesome in person
and it color shifts the way it should.
ive done various car parts, computer parts, other rc cars and my racing helmet with mirage. been thru at least 7 sets. humidity during ny winters is nonexistent. my house has very dry air and the garage is 3000sq ft with propane heat(12 car private performance shop for me and a bud). we also have a sheilded rear exit fan for fumes, compressed air, sprayers and a powder coater.

i understand what you mean with the camera affecting the color shifting...my mustang shifts amazingly in light from windows and lamps but i have a 450 dollar camera and it still cant capture the fading...