TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 09-25-2003, 07:25 AM
TinyRC Pro

Bit-Dub Conversion questions

Hello. A few questions I could not find answers for doing a search. I am doing a Dub city full body/tire conversion on a bit char-g booster car. I have already done the tire/rims both front and rear and have cut the chassis and lengthened it to make it fit the longer wheelbase (using a floppy disk for raw material)... Since there is extra room and the car will be substantially heavier due to the new body, I'm thinking about adding an extra cell to the car. My questions are as follows:

1) Has anyone ever encountered problems with a 2 cell conversion on a 2 speed booster car?

2) Will the booster function still work? In theory, I don't know if the booster limits voltage proportional to voltage input so I'm not sure if increasing input will increase output if the booster button is pressed. I'm no electronics genius, so the extent of this mod is simply lengthening and re-soldering wires that already exist.

3) Has anyone ever done a full Die-cast Dub conversion before. I can find reams of info on the tire conversion, but not on a full car conversion. If so, do you have any adivce or suggestions? Another concern is the front tires rubbing during steering using the dub city body.

4) Can the duel cell be charged on the standard charger (I have to rig a new charging connector due to the conversion) or should I make my own. I was just going to use a standard 3 cell battery box and hook it up to the car when charging... 4.5 volts into 2.4 should at least move the current into the rechargable batteries is my theory... Again, I'm no electronics expert so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance... Sorry to be a pain.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:16 PM
TinyRC Newbie

1. You will not encounter any problems when doing a 2 cell mod in a booster car as opposed to a non-booster car. My friend and I have both succesfully completed internal dual-cells in MS pros.

2. The booster function will still work just fine, but this mod does not require you to lenghthen existing wires, but to add more along with another battery and fit that into the chassis.

3. I have no idea.

4. The dual-cell will not charge properly without modifying your controller. If you don't mind carrying around an extra box to charge your car go ahead and build an extra charger. If you would prefer to only need your controller to charge, modify it, it is really quite simple. You need only to add another AA in series with the other two and solder wires from the battery terminals(inside of the controller) to the charging terminals(inside of the controller on the bottom of the charging base) (+) to (+) and (-) to (-).

Hope this helps.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:20 PM
TinyRC Pro

It does help. Thanks for the info. I already have the chassis split and ready for re-wiring. I just needed to know what to do with the battery and charger before I went ahead. Since I had to abandon the battery wiring to the charger, I am starting from scratch and will construct the new battery in 'pack' form before re-inserting it into the chassis. Your info will allow me to get to work on that. I'll try to post some pictures if I am able soon....

Thanks again!

Last edited by mcojoc; 09-25-2003 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:00 PM
TinyRC Pro

Heres a shot after most of the wiring is done. Note the Duct Tape for wire strain relief. I just have to pick a plug for the recharger, (shortening the battery wires in the process) and mount the body and I'm done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 124.jpg (68.9 KB, 111 views)
Old 09-25-2003, 10:02 PM
TinyRC Pro

... and another with the body "sort of " mounted. The wires getting in the way will be removed when I mount the charging jack.

With the dual batteries, the car SCREAMS on low pile carpet in the SLOW position. In the fast position, it spins out on the carpet. I don't think I'll have a problem pulling the weight of the body around, but the car may just be for carpet with how low the DUB tire traction is. Anyone know of tires that will work with dub rims and give more traction?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 125.jpg (68.9 KB, 110 views)