TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 10-22-2002, 09:28 PM
TinyRC Pro

Three Special editions, 2 Microsizers and some engine work.

Well, my package of Tomy Special editions finally came. These are the standard GT-R cars without the booster. I imported them with the non-American frequencies just like the clones imported a few weeks ago. I ended up a bit shocked though pleased with the true Tomy Bits. Here are some of the results:

Microsizer (ZipZap Turbo engine) Honda S2000 - 49
Stock Honda S2000 - 27
Stock Special GT-R with the 2.6 and 8x:1 gear ratio - 35
( The rest are special editions with diff freq's )

Assembling the new special edition like a mad scientist to a new brain. The car was ready to rock in the blink of an eye. I was geared up for this 2.6 engine to whoop some butt.

I drop the shiny new Bit to the floor... ? go! man go!? Nothing. What the?

Taking a closer look the front wheels turned but the motor was a no go. I took the motor out and put it back in. Nothing. I took a better look at the motor and turned it 90 degrees. Whamo. Ultra quiet tire spinning madness.

I drop the shiny new Bit to the floor... ? ! Nothing.

Repeat the last step.

I drop the shiny new Bit to the floor! Zoom! Sputter, sputter. I got about 4 feet before it started stalling from range. Now the Microsizers came out of the box with a pretty good range. ( after the knot was taken out ) I did the same to the Tomy Bit. 4.5 feet. This is getting discouraging. I immediately look for the cripple cap and remove it. Now we are in business. 15ft and running.

It looks pretty zippy, I smile and grab the S2000-49 and drop it to the floor. It tears out of the gate and smokes the special edition. My mouth drops to the floor. This must be a mistake. I clean all of the parts on both and double charge the batteries. The Microsizer eats the Special out of the hole but in the long haul the gear ratio catches up and the Special squeaks out a paltry win. My mouth now cotton dry from being open so long.

Very upset, I grab the Special-57 Freq. Knowing the engine was just a bad one and it happens to everyone. Assemble. Drop to the floor, engine issues. Turn engine a few times and repeat. Drop, the S2000 rocks it and the gear ratio squeaks out a late victory at the 15ft mark before the sputter.

Now for those of you keeping track. The Tomy Bits are coming imported and brand new. In perfect condition from Cosmo Games. They have the 2.6 engine in them and a lower gear ratio for higher top end. The Microsizers have the 2.2 with the 9x:1 gears in them. ( I upgraded the 2.2 with a Turbo ZipZap engine )

Just out of pure anger I drop the S2000-27 to the floor untouched from the factory. ( 2.2 engine ) The Special wins but loses the hole shot and doesn't even start to catch up until about 8ft into the event.

I refused to believe. I took the zipzap engine out of the S2000-49 and dropped in the Tomy 2.6. The first corner flipped the vehicle over. Ok, it's all gear ratio -- I thought. I then dropped the zipzap engine into the Special edition GT-R. The Special Edition won by a better margin than with the 2.6 in it. In a fuming rage I grab the gears from the 27 sitting in the pit. Drop it into the Special edition. Tires changed so both are soft. This is now pure ZipZap vs 2.6. First run, tie, second run ZipZap, third run tie fourth and fifth run 2.6.

Bottom line: $7.99 gets you a pretty damn good engine from Radio Shack. AND you get three suspensions AND a 1.0 engine. If you don't mind the tire fit you also get the three back ends with different gear ratios. That’s 2 engines ( 2.6 equiv / 1.0 equiv ), three gear ratios, three suspensions.

Range out of the box the U.S. Microsizer has a much better range.

Knock Offs out of the box beat the Microsizers to a pulp until the zipzap engine was added. ( Earlier article posted about 4 knock offs vs the Microsizer )

I now own five Bits of different freqs. Where to go from here is a blur. 3.0? 3.8? Wait for the ZipZap bigboy? It's been an interesting evening...

Comments? Disbeliefs?

-AceQ-

Last edited by AceQ; 10-22-2002 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:48 PM
I really should change my title...

The zip zap motors do work well in the bits.

I have a booster car with a 3.8 motor and 150 mah. Give that a try! Whooa! Put in a 12:1 gear and watch it eat up some asphalt (or whatever your racing on)!
Old 10-23-2002, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Wait for the ZipZap bigboy?
The what?!
Old 10-23-2002, 09:42 PM
TinyRC Pro

The ZipZap model line is suppose to be getting a larger engine than the 'NOS' before Christmas. I'm assuming it will be about the same as the 3.0+ Bit motors.

The locals are calling it the 'bigboy' but most of them have no clue what a Bit Char-G is. We'll forgive them.

-AceQ-