TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > Tracks

Old 10-22-2002, 02:35 PM
Too Many Hobbies

Modular Cardboard Track Component Project

Well, I had this idea... I see a lot of people building tracks, and I've built one too. But I still always find myself going back to the livingroom Pergo floor to drive on. So I got to thinking, why not create some track parts that I can make out of small piece of cardboard so that I can have a little fun with obstacles.

So I designed a ramp. Here's how it works: First, you print the template out and mount it with a glue stick or spray adhesive to a piece of cardboard, preferrably non-corrugated, like the cardboard from a shoebox or even poster board. Then, you cut along the solid orange lines, and fold along the dotted orange lines. Add a little glue or tape, and you have a quick, easy, pre-decorated ramp.

Here's a preview of my beta version ramp. It's shown here at 50% size (the full version is about 12"x18" so it may need to be printed in pieces depending on how big your printer is. I built a ramp like this, and it turns out that though it's only 1.25" high, my ZZs don't get a lot of air. I had hoped to get a few inches of air, but that's not happening. I want to build a few more test ramps with longer slopes, and shorter height. The goal is to get a ZZ with red gear and motors to fly at least 4".

I guess I'm posting this to see if there's any interest. If people want this sort of thing, I'll make more. I'd like to have templates that ideally start with an 8" wide track and end with an 8" wide track, and use as little paper and material as possible (so you don't have to print 6 pages and mount them all to cardboard!) And, if you use bits and can get at least 4" of air, let me know what your set-up is. This may turn out to be a good thing for bits but not ZZs.
Attached Images
File Type: gif ramp0.5b2.gif (12.3 KB, 725 views)
Old 10-22-2002, 02:38 PM
Too Many Hobbies

And if you're interested in building one full size, here's the big one in .zip format so it doesn't make the page really, really wide. (it's 1227x866 pixels) and weighs in 40k... 36k unzipped, go figure.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ramp0.5b.gif.zip (36.1 KB, 45 views)
Old 10-22-2002, 02:39 PM
Fear the 1's and 0's

ummm...after my poor Microsizer fell from desk height it died for good...**thank you Hobbico for the free replacement!**

i don't think i ever want to jump a little tiny car with no suspension at all.

just my $.02

I dream of a day when schools receive enough money and the Air Force has to hold a bake sale to buy a bomber.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:48 PM
Too Many Hobbies

Yeah, tables can be awfully high and awfully bad for a wee car. But this ramp is only 1.25 inches high, so it's a little kinder to your car. And, if you build 2 of them, you have a landing ramp!

But you do make a good point about jumping your car, it can cause damage, So I'd also like to make other pieces like banked curves that don't involve leaving the ground.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:04 AM
I really should change my title...

I droped my bit char g on to asphalt from chest height ( I am a little over 6 foot) and it still runs fine. I was shocked.
Old 10-24-2002, 02:24 PM
Too Many Hobbies

I made a new one. It's another beta, in fact, I haven't tested this one yet. I built it, but I'm at work, and my cars are at home. Happily, this one involves no jumping. It's a 180° banked turn. It requires a piece of card board about 17" square, though you can mount the parts differently to fit it onto different sized cardboard.

Here's a preview pic that's half the resolution.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 180° banked curve 0.5b2.gif (13.2 KB, 668 views)
Old 10-24-2002, 02:25 PM
Too Many Hobbies

And if you want the full size gif file to make your own, here it is. This is also around 40kb, and its total dimensions are 16" x 17"
Attached Files
File Type: zip 180° banked curve 0.5b.gif.zip (36.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 10-24-2002, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Nice; do you have an entire track made of the paper printouts or are they just for the ramp etc.?
Old 10-25-2002, 08:17 AM
Too Many Hobbies

I don't have any other pieces yet. And all I've built are these two. Though, making the straights and 90° curves should be a piece of cake. Basically, I'm just making pieces that I can use as obstacles on my living room floor. I think it might be fun to eventually have a ton of pieces to make complete tracks, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

I was also sort of "testing the waters" to see if anyone else would be interested in making track parts for themselves. I'll make the template for straights and maybe 90° today, if people want more, then I'll post more. Otherwise, I'll just make them for myself and post a pic of all the finished pieces together.
Old 10-26-2002, 03:22 PM
Administrator

I'd like to see more!
Old 11-03-2002, 02:13 AM
TinyRC Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to MICROMAZDA
Call me stupid but it looks like you got somthing there

I too would like to see a whole track. I'm gona do your bank curve tomorrow and rip it up with my my lil bit mazda!
Old 11-05-2002, 06:37 AM
Too Many Hobbies

Well, here are a few things I've learned along the way. The reails are only 1/2" and that seems just a little to short, and the road lines from the straights don't line up on the curves. (I didn't post the straight of 90° bank yet) Also, because the finsished pieces are so light, they tend to move. But I'm trying to engineer some sort of rubber band system to hold them together I'm still working out the kinks, and I'll post the next generation of parts when I have them.

Also, make sure that when you mount the paper to the cardboard that you do a good job. The walls seem to like to come unglued. (I used a glue stick and allowed about 45 seconds drying time, that may be the problem).

I'll post more details when I have them!
Old 11-05-2002, 04:11 PM
I'm 1337 r/c'er :)

Thumbs up

wow, good job these are leet pieces of art, i'm gonna try out the banked turn if i get the time, can you make anymore? They are nice as i said earlier.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:53 PM
I'm 1337 r/c'er :)

Like i said in my previous post these are nice pieces, but i was wondering if you could make outlines of the tracks because it helps save ink and because i would probably intend on spraypainting them. It's just a suggestion, either way they look great.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:34 PM
4r3 j00 ub3r l337 h4xx0r?

Send a message via AIM to Kajoq
I built a ramp for my ZZs a lil while ago out of cardboard and packaging tape... works great for 1.6s and the turbos/nos if they on a full charge, when the turbo/nos get to about 1/3 charge, they have trouble gettin up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ramp.jpg (30.2 KB, 487 views)