TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > 1/24 and Smaller > XMODS > XMODS Gallery

Old 09-27-2004, 08:23 AM
Xmoddin' Freak

Another weekend...another model conversion. The Batmobile!

Here's the lastest in my weekend excursions of converting model car bodies over to fit Xmods. This time was a bit more of a challenge than Chezoom was. The body was SOOO much longer than even Chezoom, plus I had to do some "work" to the Xmod's receiver and steering servo to get the body to set low enough. The chassis extension alone is about 3" long! I'm also using the model's wheels and tires, but I placed them onto the Xmod's wheels up to the center rib. This, amazingly enough, gave me the perfect width both front and back. Plus, it just looks so cool having "meats" like that in the back. It actually drives pretty good, too. I've driven it around in my kitchen and my theater and while the turning radius is a bit larger, the tires get enough grip. That is until you hit the gas hard, then the backend slides around, which I like to call the "patented Batman slide".

So, without further ado, here's my latest. Let me know what you think. Oh, and disregard the blue tape on the bottom. I'm in the process of making a new extension out of metal, so the plastic and tape are just temporary. And expect full lighting within the week (hopefully!)

Red Supra/New Beetle RSI, AWD, Full Bearings, Team Orion Micro RS4 Stock 180 (10 tooth), Team Orion Micro RS4 Stock 180 (20-tooth), Carbon Fiber Driveshaft by Sluggbug, Metal Lock Nuts, Lithium Ion batteries from AtomicMods.com.

Last edited by bugman72; 09-27-2004 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:31 PM
Xmoddin' Freak

Pics are working again!

Red Supra/New Beetle RSI, AWD, Full Bearings, Team Orion Micro RS4 Stock 180 (10 tooth), Team Orion Micro RS4 Stock 180 (20-tooth), Carbon Fiber Driveshaft by Sluggbug, Metal Lock Nuts, Lithium Ion batteries from AtomicMods.com.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:18 PM
midgetPimp

Send a message via AIM to midget_man1387
you, my man, are twisted. Nice work though.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:44 AM
Xmoddin' Freak

Hey, Midget_man, I resemble that remark!! You should have seen my face when I was going through my models and came across the Batmobile. I looked up at my wife with a you-know-what eatin' grin and she instantly knew what was brewing in my demented mind. Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to do next to top this!

Old 09-29-2004, 09:45 AM
TinyRC Pro

I saw you entered that in the rcmod.com contest. Your bond to win a prize with that batmobile.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:32 PM
midgetPimp

Send a message via AIM to midget_man1387
Quote:
Originally posted by bugman72
Hey, Midget_man, I resemble that remark!! You should have seen my face when I was going through my models and came across the Batmobile. I looked up at my wife with a you-know-what eatin' grin and she instantly knew what was brewing in my demented mind. Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to do next to top this!

hahaha! Man, seeing your work makes me want to give xmods another chance and hit up my local model aisle... Man I've seen some crazy bodies there... Ay! trust me. Once you go the aisle with the models, you will think "Damn, I didn't think I could do better, but just look at this!!!"
Old 10-29-2004, 02:43 PM
JDM Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to maxvelox03
wow.

wow man, thats wild. nice work.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:49 PM
importfool

did u have to....

hey did u have to get a longer drive shaft (i think thats wut its call) (the tube thing that runs 2 the pinion gear)
Old 11-23-2004, 11:25 PM
Xmoddin' Freak

No...since this isn't my "daily driver", I simply cut off a small section of an extra driveshaft and glued it into the pinion.

Old 11-26-2004, 06:54 PM
TinyRC Pro

Send a message via AIM to 1SloSupra
Nicely done man!
Old 12-15-2004, 04:24 PM
TinyRC Pro

Really Kool!
Keep up the good work

Its Only Illegal If U Get Caught
Old 12-19-2004, 04:52 PM

Stole my idea.......damn.
Now what can I do.
General Lee
Kit from Knightrider, hmm. With the light in the grill. hmmmmmm
AWD Kit
Graphite BBS wheels
Blue S2 motor
Corvette Body and wheels
Yellow Skyline Body
Soon: Alloy Steering and A-arms.
Zero Products X-FRAME PRO-Stock Chassis v1.5 - LE Silver Texalium
Old 01-04-2005, 06:52 AM
TinyRC Newbie

I just got an Xmod and thats the sort of thing that came to my mind as soon as I saw how customizeable those things are, do you have any background in electronics or anything relevant to customizing RC cars? The reason I ask is because I have none and just took my Xmod apart to figure out how to make it longer. I have a rough idea of what I need to do but Im still struggling to get the car back together, I would love to find some good instructional reading material on this sort of thing... When you first got into RC cars were you as stupid with electronics and model car building as I am?...
Old 01-04-2005, 08:52 AM

You don't have to know anything about electronics to make these cars longer. Get a good piece of thin and stiff plastic and cut it to make an extention on the rear. I used the back plastic off of a notebook. I also extended the forks on the rear deck with a piece of metal that I found at hobby lobby. Not sure what it was for but I found it in the train/wood car section. I has a shape like I box with one side missing and it fit around the forks really nice. Drilled a couple of holes attached it to the rear deck with the stock screws and the battery holders with some longer screws. Kept everything nice and rigid.

To be honest that's the easy part. The hard part is the driveshaft. If you want AWD you have to fab a custom driveshaft. To do this I put the chassis at stock length and measure from the front to the back. Then I set up the extended lenghth and measured that. Took the difference and made a custom CF driveshaft that was longer than the stock one by the difference from front to back. Worked out really well. Your only other option is to cut the stock shaft so it's just long enough to go past the rear bearing/driveshaft holder. That works really well too, but you have to glue the gear to the shaft. I used crazy glue and couldn't get the gear back off so I had to buy another motor upgrade.

Hope that helps.