TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > 1/24 and Smaller > XMODS > XMODS Science

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 04:52 PM
Mad Scientist

Motor current draw findings...

So I just put together a little rig that connects up my stock battery holders directly to the motor with the ammeter in series. On a fully charged set of NiMH batteries, here's what I found:

(These are unloaded numbers, BTW)

Stock motors
Stage 1 motors: 0.26A - 0.35A
Stage 2 motors: 0.45A - 0.53A

Spin Brush motor: 0.28A

Tamiya Plasma Dash: 1.7 - 1.8A

Team Orion Elite stock motor for Micro RS4 (180 type motor): 0.21A

GPM MH038 Hi Speed 35T modified motor (180 type): 0.27A

(Need to borrow a stock X-Speed to test)

Experimental and modified motors
Spin brush armature and can, stage 1 magnets, endbell, and brushes: 0.37A

Stage 1 with spin brush magnets, timing advance, and BB endbell: 0.18A

MiniZ Racer Z130-A-BB armature with timing advance in stage 1 can with spin brush magnets: 0.40A

Stage 2 with spin brush magnets and timing advance: 0.60A

Stage 2 reduced to 44 turns, timing advance, and Drac's Neo magnets in Auldey BB can: 0.70A

25 turn (28 Ga wire) armature in stage 2 can: 0.89A, but it pulled as high as 1.4A before it topped out.

Custom 35 turn (28 Ga wire) in Stage 2 can with timing advanced: 0.90A

Custom 35 turn (30 Ga wire) in Stage 1 can with timing advanced, and spin brush magnets: 0.70A

Custom 35 turn (28 Ga wire) ex-Plasma Dash armature in BB motor can, timing advance, thin Neo magnets: 0.58A

Custom 30 turn (26 Ga wire) 180 motor: 0.50A

Custom 2 x 21 turn (30 Ga), timing advance, spin brush magnets, ball bearing can: 1.7A

Last edited by neurokinetik; 01-04-2004 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:04 PM
TinyRC Pro

awesome! great great thread. so from this I gather that my setup is drawing in the area of about 600mA. Now the question then is what is the limit of the ESC then?

sherif

edit: I guess the next step is to figure out how to extract the highest amount of torque and speed out of the motor w/o exceeding the above mentioned limit.

edit 2: To give some people an idea of what the results are of some of the motors mentioned above. I'm running a the Stage 2 arm w/ spinbrush can & magnets, and I've got it in my AWD skyline with hard tires & the thing keeps all 4 tires spinning with the Yellow (4.40) final drive gearing.

Last edited by sherifx; 12-09-2003 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally posted by sherifx
Now the question then is what is the limit of the ESC then?
Still unknown. The stock 3004 FETs that the Mini-Z used were only good to 3.5A. The IRF7389 is good up to 7.3A. The Si4562 is good to 7.1A.

Toshiba had a press release from around May of this year showing some new packaging of these types of chips that were capable of around 13A.

The part numbers are totally different than what is in the XMod. (The chip just says A1792)
Old 12-09-2003, 06:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Rez Send a message via AIM to Rez
Sticky.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:46 PM
R34 Skyline is God

Send a message via AIM to geofroley
Can you clock RPM's with that little machine of yours neuro?

Soon to come: (Undecided) Custom Rims

Turqoiuse axle set(Unsure on what the ratio is)
Old 12-09-2003, 11:26 PM
TinyRC Pro

Hrm... Neuro, I'm curious as to how you setup your testing equipment b/c I was just thinking of going with a Yeah Racing BB Can w/ balance armature, neo magnets & carbon brushes, wrapping the arm with about 42 winds of 30-gauge... The question is once it's done, I have no idea what the current draw will be... I'm guessing somewhere in the range of 0.70amps or so... though, I'd like to play with gauges (I also have 22 & 26) so that I can extract more torque along with high RPMs for my drift spec skyline.

sherif
Old 12-10-2003, 01:31 AM
TinyRC Pro

Well, I'm completely editing this post. Basically, last night in a fit of boredom I wound a 42-turn motor with 30gauge wire, and threw it in a spinbrush can. It seemed really promising, with tons of torque decent revs,... but once it was under load, it sucked... horribly heh. My SBPStage 2 is infinitely better than it, and even after 5min of just tooling around, the thing was hot... which makes me wonder, if its a problem with my winding, or just what I'm trying to do in general. Anyways, I originally started this post asking Neuro if he could test the current draw from this type of setup, but I'd like to trouble shoot my winding first... I've included a really crappy pic from my camera phone, but in it, I show the direction of how I wound the motor. I had to reverse the polls on the connection b/c how I wound it, reversed its direction... ah trial and error lemme know if you see anything wrong:

sherif

Last edited by sherifx; 12-10-2003 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:53 PM
Mad Scientist

It looks like a better winding tutorial is in order...

Anyway, it's hard for me to decipher from the pic how you wound the motor.

Here's how I've done it:

Start at the cyan arrow. Solder the connection to the terminal, then follow the yellow arrows around the pole. Repeat until you have the number of winds you want. (Don't lose count ) Finish that pole by soldering the wire to the next terminal, as shown by the red arrow. Then move on to the next pole.

Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention:

Tamiya Plasma Dash: 1.7 - 1.8A
Old 12-11-2003, 05:09 PM
Gerbil Racing

Send a message via AIM to Skurge420
bret....i have a stock SBP motor if ya want ot borrow it........PM on ubrf or something......or reply here

AE86 Corolla GT-S Micro RS4

Skyline, 2x RSX, Civic, Vette and Supra XMOD..............
Old 12-12-2003, 04:42 PM
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperDragon
What is the the max current draw that the stock fets can handle? Or what is the max current draw of a motor that has been installed in a xmod with out burning it up.

SD
Again, we still don't know the limits on the stock FETs. I have run a motor that draws 700mA for a full set of IC3 batteries with no ill effects. That is with it geared as tall as possible, too, (blue gear set) which increases current draw even more.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:39 PM
Mad Scientist

A 15 turn double is effectively a 7.5 turn motor current-wise. Yeah, I'd expect to smell some smoke. :lol:
Old 12-13-2003, 01:04 AM
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperDragon
ever thought about using a mini-z external turbo?

SD
No, not when I was able to come up with one on my own that works better and costs less...
Old 12-13-2003, 01:07 AM
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally posted by Skurge420
bret....i have a stock SBP motor if ya want ot borrow it........PM on ubrf or something......or reply here
Actually, I have all the parts for one already, I just need to put them all back into the same motor. :lol: I figure the current draw will be less than the stage 2, but a little more than the stage 1, just by the number of winds and gauge of wire used.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:27 PM
Mad Scientist

It might still work, but you'd lose the benefit of having the better power dissipation at all but wide open throttle, I would think. I'll have to look into it.

Back on the subject of current draw...

I wound a 35 turn armature tonight, with 28Ga wire. It pulls .9A. Sounds pretty beefy, A bit faster than a stock stage 2, but with alot more torque.

I think I'll wind one with 35 turns of 30 Ga wire and see what the difference is. In theory, it should gain top speed, lower current draw, and lower torque. I wonder what gauge of wire PN racing is using on the S03 and their other motors...

Last edited by neurokinetik; 12-13-2003 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:28 PM
TinyRC Pro

neuro, what do you think would be the max windings of say 26 gauge? 25, 30 turns maybe? I'd like to know the current draw of such a setup as well. I'm guessing anything under 1 amp current draw should be alright... though don't quote me

sherif
Closed Thread