TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > 1/24 and Smaller > Mini-X > Mini-X Gallery

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-19-2003, 01:53 AM
cdog4w's Avatar
cdog4w cdog4w is offline
newbmaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 316
Blog Entries: 12
Send a message via ICQ to cdog4w Send a message via AIM to cdog4w
my X

Well, no mods yet, but I finally did paint the body. I made lots of mistakes, but it was a lot of fun. I'm only going to post two of the finished images for now, but might make a webpage for some of the intermediary steps I made mistakes in. I had trouble with paint leaking under the window masks, but I discovered that was mainly due to the fact I was hand painting the thing with a brush :P Apparently most people airbrush or use rc model spray paint. Anyway, I think it came out pretty well. You can see the scratches I've already put on the outside of the car :P






P.S. I used the little screw/washer/bolt that came with the car to put the spoiler on, is that what they're for?
__________________
Charles to the players, no doubt...

My rides:
Xray M18, Duratrax Vendetta ST, Kyosho Mini-Z AWD, Losi Micro-T
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-19-2003, 06:30 AM
Cian's Avatar
Cian Cian is offline
Got Cheese?
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 237
Hey that looks really well! You wouldn't know it was a hand painted shell! How is it running for you? More importantly, are you having fun with it?
I bought a mini-x ages ago, butI have never gotten around to finishing it.
__________________
Bart: Inside every hardened criminal is the heart of a 10 year old.
Lisa: And vice versa...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-19-2003, 10:49 AM
cdog4w's Avatar
cdog4w cdog4w is offline
newbmaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 316
Blog Entries: 12
Send a message via ICQ to cdog4w Send a message via AIM to cdog4w
I'm having a blast with it, but temporarily on hold. One of the back wheel nuts came loose and I don't have the special nut driver for it. I've been pestering tiny, but he's not responding. I don't really want to try other tools since I'd be SOL if I stripped them or messed them up somehow. Maybe I'm just paranoid after seeing how soft the body screws are and nearly stripping some of them before being more careful.

Once I get that, my planned list of mods will be to shave down the suspension stops and to throw some OL tires on it to increase ride height. Also going to learn how to solder so I can do some of the more serious mods, yay :P
__________________
Charles to the players, no doubt...

My rides:
Xray M18, Duratrax Vendetta ST, Kyosho Mini-Z AWD, Losi Micro-T
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-19-2003, 10:52 AM
Cian's Avatar
Cian Cian is offline
Got Cheese?
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 237
I think the little red wrench you get with the mini-z'a should fit, I have one of those wrenches, and I know I can use them to remove the stock nuts on the Z...
Worth a shot!
__________________
Bart: Inside every hardened criminal is the heart of a 10 year old.
Lisa: And vice versa...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-19-2003, 12:20 PM
cdog4w's Avatar
cdog4w cdog4w is offline
newbmaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 316
Blog Entries: 12
Send a message via ICQ to cdog4w Send a message via AIM to cdog4w
Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have a Z or any friends with one. If tiny doesn't wake up soon I'm just going to order from rcmart I guess... tho stupid S/H from HK is so exepensive.
__________________
Charles to the players, no doubt...

My rides:
Xray M18, Duratrax Vendetta ST, Kyosho Mini-Z AWD, Losi Micro-T
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-20-2003, 03:00 AM
Cian's Avatar
Cian Cian is offline
Got Cheese?
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 237
try mailing the shop again, it's soo much cheaper overall
__________________
Bart: Inside every hardened criminal is the heart of a 10 year old.
Lisa: And vice versa...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-18-2004, 04:07 PM
mde mde is offline
TinyRC Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 63
painting with brush

Hi cdog4w,

I know this was an old post but I painted my x with a brush and used Liquitex acrylic artist paint, I paint pictures of cars ect so I used what I had.

These paints use high quality pigments and available in many colours. Some of my tubes are 20 years old and still good and you could paint a fleet of bodies with one tube. Coverage depends on the colour but it will take a few coats to get an opaque finish.

Clean up is easy and I'll be able to do some wild paint jobs by treating the shell like a canvas. Look out for the rolling art car! I just have to remember to paint backwards so it looks right on the out side.

Other benefits? No mask required if using a brush but I can also apply it with my air brush. I don't have a compressor so I use a mountain bike wheel and my bike pump. If you have a garage you can use a car tire for more volume.

Acrylic paint is also flexible and peels off quite well if submerged in hot tap water meaning you can re do mistakes. You could even change the colour as well. The paint however is very durable if left alone.

I'm not ready to post a picture yet but I will when its done assuming my next cart wheel doesn't total the body. lol.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Mini Inferno Sale - Up to $85 Instant Savings!
Micro-T Hop-Ups
RC18R, M18, Micro RS4, Mini-LST, TamTech-Gear, Minizilla, RC18T, RC18B, RC18MT
shop.tinyrc.com Products
Tiny RC Community News
[03/17/10] Kyosho Mini-Z F1 MF-010 SP2... : The Kyosho Mini-Z F1 MF-010 SP2 Carbon Limited ASF 2.4GHz Tx-Less Chassis Set - more»
[10/23/09] Kyosho Mini-Z MR-03 In Stock! : The Mini-Z MR-03 (http://mr-03.com) is now In Stock and Pre-Orders are shipping! - more»
[09/06/09] Labor Day Savings - $5 Off... : Labor Day traditionally marks the unofficial end of summer - but we're not ready to let go! So, we - more»
Mini-Z, Mini-Z Racer, MR-02, MA-010
M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
Mini Inferno, Mini Inferno ST, half EIGHT, 1/16, 16th scale
Epoch, Indoor Racer, 1/43, 43rd scale
E-Savage, eSavage, eZilla, e-Zilla, HPI
Robots, Bots, Bipeds, Wheeled, Manoi, Roomba, NXT, Lego, Hacking
Crawling, Crawlers, Micro, RC, Losi Mini-Rock Crawler, Duratrax Cliff Climber
Kyosho Minium, Caliber 120, Minium Forums
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, Mini Inferno Hop-Ups, Mini Inferno Parts, M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts