View Single Post
Old 09-27-2002, 01:24 PM
Hulk smash!

Send a message via AIM to Namuna Send a message via Yahoo to Namuna
#18: How big are the Bits? And how do they compare, size wise, to other remote control cars?
A: To get a feel for how small the Bit is...Here's a picture of one sitting on top of a CDrom disk:
http://tinyrc.com/lincoln/Worlds/Mic...tFirstLook.htm

Check out my Gallery with comparison pics:
http://tinyrc.com/gallery/MicroComparisons

#19: I saw a Clone/OEM car that had a frequency of 02MHz or 03MHz. Are those actual frequencies, so I can race more cars?
A: You've gotta love how these clone/oem makers try to fool buyers every chance they get (...NOT!).

Here's the deal. The Tomy Bit Char-G cars are available in 4 frequencies (57, 45, 35 and 27). When you see a copy/clone/oem say it's frequency is 02MHz or 04MHz (or whatever between 01 and 04) it's actually referring back the available Frequencies.

Here's the breakdown:
57MHz = 01MHz
45MHz = 02MHz
35MHz = 03MHz
27MHz = 04MHz

#20: I keep hearing about replacing the battery and I can get much longer runtimes. What's that about?
A: A Stock Bit car comes with a NiCad battery in it (1/3AAA size, 1.2v @ 50mAH). On average, with a 45 second charge, you'll get a runtime of about 3 minutes.

The replacement option is to put a NiMH battery in there instead. With a NiMH battery, I've heard of runtimes OVER 15 minutes! Since these replacement batteries cost a mere $3(US), it's a worthwhile cost.

You can find the details of doing this replacement/mod at QFM Racing: HERE

#21: There seems to be a lot of info about making Modifications, but what tools do I need to do them?
A: Alright, here's a checklist of 'must haves' for the modifier (I've added links to some pictures)...

- Micro Screwdriver Set:
You'll need these for working with the tiny components
- Soldering Pencil:
Car Antenna, Dual-Battery...Anything that involves soldering, you're going to need a SUPER-fine tip and good heat-output. Don't forget to get some Solder too.
- Precise filing kit:
For filing down small items or tight areas.
- Tweezers:
Look for super fine, rounded or squared-off tip. Anti-magnetic.
- Exacto knife:
For super fine, detail cutting

Alright, that's your CORE toolset and it wont' bust your bank to get those items. If you've got a bit more money to spend, here's a few non-crucial but DEFINITELY nice to haves...

- Dremel Tool:
This is THE TOOL for all kinds of drilling, cutting, carving, polishing, etc...
- Helping Hand:
Helps for holding items while you work on it
- Hobby Vise:
Another tool for holding things to work on them

#22: I'm a Do-It-Yourself type person and would like to use my own Peak Charger. What settings should I use?
A: The Bit Charger (on the Controller) puts out 1.5v @ 1.5A (no, that's not a typo...it CRANKS out 1.5A). it's up to YOU to decide how you want to do it from there.

#23: I have a Bit and ZipZap. With the same motor on both, the ZipZap seems slower. Why?
A: Because the ZipZap's circuitry sends LESS juice (power) to the motor than a Bit does.

Check the following thread for the details and numbers:
http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread....&threadid=1501

#24: My gears are a bit loud, what should I use for lubricant?
A: STAY AWAY from anything oily or wet, they WILL attract dirt and debris!

Here's a few 'dry' suggestions:
- Valve Oil (used for musical instruments)
- Dry Graphite Lubricant (should be able to buy at any Hobbyshop)
- Baby Powder (you read that right, baby powder!)

#25: I'm new to soldering, any help?
A: Check out this tutorial online:
http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/solder.htm

#26: I found a super high capacity 1/3AAA size battery for my Bit, will it work?
A: Be CAREFUL with this!!! The '1/3AAA' is a NON-Standardized size rating and there can be a LOT of variance in the actual size! Instead of going by the scale rating, you should go by the physical dimensions...In order for the battery to properly fit in your Bit it must be 10.5mm in Diameter (or less) and 16mm Height (or less)

#27: I keep hearing about using Rare Earth Magnets to replace the stock magnets used for steering. Do they really make a difference?
A: A great post by Krabill goes into the actual gauss of the stock vs. Rare Earth magnets and there's a very negligable difference:
Stock magnet: 3,550 gauss
Rare Earth magnet: 3,700 gauss

There's a good deal of debate on whether the difference is noticeable: Check out the thread HERE

Last edited by Namuna; 10-03-2002 at 05:43 PM.