Thread: internal help
View Single Post
  #7  
Old 05-05-2003, 09:28 AM
crazydave's Avatar
crazydave crazydave is offline
Garage Rocker
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 516
I always have problems when I first put my dual cells in. I use my volt meter to determine what my problem is.

If it's reading 0, then you are probably not making contact somewhere. If it reads .70, .84, .34, or anything like that, you might have a short somewhere. Check to make sure nothing's making contact where it shouldn't, cover the ends of your batteries with tape, break off your - battery tab, re-arrange or whatever you have to do so things that should not be touching, are not touching. If it's reading like 1.2-1.4, then you are only getting power from one battery. Something may have come loose, or if you shorted out the one of the batteries, that will run it down to 0, or even reverse voltage. I had a bunch of batteries where the voltage reversed, and dropped to 0. I thought I had got them too hot when I soldered, wrote "BAD" on them and set them aside. Months later I realized that they had shorted out when I put them in the chassis. I gave them a zap, and they took a charge. Luckily NiMH don't develop cell memory, but that is not the case with NiCds, if you run a NiCd down to nothing, it might not come back.

I also always use my volt meter to peak charge my battries, and cycle my batteries a couple times before I match them together. I run them down to 1.27v, and I keep checking voltage at every step of the process, then when it's all together I know exactly what they should be putting out all together.

Hope that helps, that's the basis of most the problems I ever had.

As far as which is better, seems like they all flip. Internal seems a little more controlable, and saves your body, external can be a bit more fun with the wheelies, and all the silliness. I think I'm leaning towards internal. Try them both, see what you like.
__________________
Crazy Dave's Crazy Car Gallery-It's crazy man, dig it.
Reply With Quote