View Single Post
  #5  
Old 04-05-2003, 11:12 AM
actofgod actofgod is offline
Bit Surgeon
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 216
Matching up the gears was the hardest part. A pinion gear is a tiny bit too small (though I did manage to fit one on for testing), and a transfer gear is a tiny bit too large, but I put a tiny drop of superglue on the motor rod and slid a transfer gear over it, spinning it a few times to evenly spread the glue. It was such a close fit to begin with that it turned out perfectly centered. However, I was disappointed with the performance until I readjusted the motor position to reduce gear friction and binding, which almost doubled performance. I had to fine-tune the way the gears mesh before getting just the right position, and anyone else wanting to do something like this may have a different position depending on how much plastic you've dremeled away. The first pic here shows the gears more closely, though I've changed positions slightly since then. I used the light blue high-torque gearset for faster acceleration and more climbing power. I'd say the speed is roughly equivalent to a 2.6-3.0 (not too shabby) but it has amazing climbing power. I don't have a video camera, but it will jump the metal divider between my kitchen tile and living room carpet and keep going full speed on the carpet. I haven't tested the highest slope it will climb yet, but just judging from how hard it is to stop the tires with my fingers I can tell it is going to be pretty impressive, probably limited more by the tire traction than by the motor. I may get a Wild Char-G sometime and compare them. It may also be fun to repeat this mod on one of those.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bfm9000n-2.jpg (50.7 KB, 366 views)

Last edited by actofgod; 04-23-2003 at 09:39 AM.
Reply With Quote