|
What good is all that power without some good tires? I first gave it a full-size wheel mod, then took some wheels from a Muscle Machines car kit and sanded down the plastic treads with a fine, cylindrical dremel bit until the tires were smooth, letting the wheels spin freely between my fingers and using minimal pressure to keep them nice and round. They actually turned out to be more perfectly round than before I started. They were smoother and softer than before, but still didn't have as much traction as the stock rubber bit tires, so I added a very light coat of rubber cement and let it dry, which is an idea I read elsewhere in this forum to improve traction. It helped a lot, and seems fairly durable so far. I may have to reapply it eventually. The wide surface area of the tires also helps.
With the hub caps included in the car kit inserted into the tires, there is just enough room to fit a bit rear wheel into the other side. For now, I have left them removable, but eventually I will probably center them perfectly and superglue them, because they can wobble or come off if the car hits something. See the pic below for a better idea of the way the wheels attach. After test-driving, I added a second steering spring to help swing those big guys back into place and noticed sharper steering immediately. The electromagnets have no problem overcoming the extra spring, since they are getting triple voltage now anyway.
|