View Single Post
  #2  
Old 02-14-2003, 04:44 PM
strider_mt2k
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Heatsink, shmeetsink!

Use the one you think looks coolest and that works best at what it is intended for: holding in the motor!

I like the dark ones (brn/blk?) on my cars, they look cooler than stock chrome clips. You can always paint, or color it with a sharpie.
I just tried a blue sharpie on a chrome one, and it's not bad, almost anodized looking (kinda)

But that tiny little bit of contact the motor makes to that clip doesn't even come close to how a real heat sink is supposed to work.

Those are motor clips, don't believe the hype.

With these multi cell mods, however, I see a need for REAL heatsinks to help keep these little motors from burning up their bushings! You can find posts here and there about experimenters burning these motors up when over-driving them.



I have considered taking a REAL finned heatsink and cutting it down to attach to a motor clip, sticking up out the rear opening of my skyline to give the appearance of a big major heatsink (or the need for one).
A purely "for looks" mod, but at least it's more fitting than a fake muffler. These are electric vehicles after all, but hey, that's just my thing. Room for lots of mods, right! heheh
Reply With Quote