TinyRC.com

TinyRC.com (http://tinyrc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bit Char-G / MicroSizers (http://tinyrc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Making tracks (http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107)

ytcrg 05-23-2002 10:22 AM

Making tracks
 
Sorry if there's already an existing thread about this, but anyone got tips on track building? I've seen people using found objects, to buying matchbox tracks, to picking up those import pre-fab guide rails from Tomy. Since I'm an Initial D-votee (yes, I just made that up), has anyone made any "downhill", minimum grade tracks? No five hairpins but something actually navigable for the tiny cars.

The mind reels...

ylexot 05-23-2002 10:52 AM

Haven't made one yet, but I read a lot :p

My biggest tip would be to go to the hardware store and look around for materials (plywood, floor tiles, foam board, etc.). It's really up to you and tracks have been made of lot's of different stuff. If you want something portable/changeable, try a heavy rope. A good rule of thumb is to make the track ~8-10 inches wide.

A couple questions though:
How big of a track do you want?
How much are you willing to spend?
Does it need to be portable/easily hidable?

tinyrc 05-24-2002 10:46 AM

Quote:

Since I'm an Initial D-votee (yes, I just made that up), has anyone made any "downhill", minimum grade tracks?
Wow, what a cool idea, if you do come up with a downhill, please share, that's such a cool idea. Don't forget to include gutters so you can drop your front wheel in!

Hardtrukr 05-24-2002 11:00 AM

hehe. That would be one heck of a long and steep track. If those springs are made! It would be entirely possible to drive it! :)

323iT 05-24-2002 11:52 AM

good idea... i'll see if i can get something like that made in a few days

Hardtrukr 05-25-2002 05:30 PM

Use chicken wire and then take some plaster-of-paris and shape a hill. then use some plastic putty if you are good at making it smooth (or just sand it). then paint it and detail it! :confused: sound like an idea:confused:

mike_diaz19 05-25-2002 06:05 PM

Track Ideas - bytch_arg
 
Hey, i made a track jus recently but i havent completed it yet (lazyness took over) and i got my idea for my track at www.ausmicro.com if you search around the site you should she a link that says something about an "Isotta Foam Raceway" or something like thta. click on it and theres your track idea! my track looks almost exactly like it but i used regular styrofoam instead of the stuff he used. my track is pretty cool and since its 4 separate peices, it is easy to store away in the closet. so try ausmicro.com and tell me what u think about that track and if ur gonna use that idea. if you cant get to it or find it let me know. im outz....

bdrift 05-27-2002 01:51 PM

yep, made a nasty downhill track
 
hey, i made a nasty downhill track this weekend. pics will be up when my website starts to work correctly again. it reverted to an old version missing updates. anyways, it was fun, but 2 people had to reglue their magnets. the top was a table height and it went down with 3 turns. then there was the little jump followed by 3 minilaunch ramps. pretty cool that the BCG's kept their noses up in the air. pics should be up in a week when the site works again. b

TheFanMan 05-29-2002 05:10 PM

my friend and I figured out a really cool way to make a rally track for the subaru's. Take this stuff called "Durham's Water Putty" and spread it all over the track. then, take a sponge and dab it all over to give it a rough surface. when it's all dry, paint it with a base coat of brown, then spraypaint (very lightly) the inside, outside, and middle of the track, with grass green paint. cool eh?:D

PorscheGuy964 05-30-2002 04:53 PM

I"m thinking of making my own track for my butcharge and I'm going to use black foam board as teh road surface. Then use something for the railings and hand paint the lans and what not I will post when I'm done:) ;)

bdrift 05-31-2002 03:22 AM

pics of my downhill track and another track.
 
hey everyone, here are pics of 2 tracks that we recently raced on. i had the fastest time for the downhill course with a 9.4 second run. go to:
www.endlesswaltz.net/bdrift/jumptrack.htm
www.endlesswaltz.net/bdrift/dhtrack.htm

laters b

PorscheGuy964 05-31-2002 12:13 PM

B, do you work for the post office? lol

bdrift 05-31-2002 01:55 PM

haha. no, just sponsored by them.
 
nah, a friend gave me the tape because they weren't using it anymore and it was going to waste. laters b

fovea3d 06-11-2002 07:12 PM

Track
 
I just got my bitchar RX7 today and its fun. I was looking for some info about tracks building and I found this! Amazing...
Styrofoam (Roofmate) is the way to go...:D
http://www.ilestpas.net/mini-zone/bi.../circuit01.htm

SSJChar 06-11-2002 10:32 PM

...that track is amazing!!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.