TinyRC.com

TinyRC.com (http://tinyrc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bit Char-G Mods and Projects (http://tinyrc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   OK HELP! What Exactly is Soldering? (http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9952)

Jr08bll 03-31-2003 07:32 PM

OK HELP! What Exactly is Soldering?
 
I know that on most mods you have to "solder" what exactly is that. I figured it was just meant you have to (soldier) your mod like make changes. But then I get to these mod sites and they say "solder the wire to the battery" and stuff like that so WHAT exactly is it and how do you do it?

isk8blind 03-31-2003 07:35 PM

solder is like metal and you can get solder guns and they get really hot and melt the solder and you put the solder on the wire and some thing else thats metal and electricity goes through it

Jr08bll 03-31-2003 07:52 PM

oh so its kinda like a glue gun and then you solder wires together?

xatu 03-31-2003 07:53 PM

Yes, exactly, except it conducts electricity, and it is basically artificial metal, except softer.

Jr08bll 03-31-2003 08:08 PM

OH I get it! But do any of you know a way to get around that when trying to create a dual cell mod? Thats what I'm working on but don't have a soldering gun!

AUDI-TT 03-31-2003 08:14 PM

this sounds stupid but i did this and it worked,
take the wires and leave 2 cm on the end stripped and twist it into a circle, then it fits on ur 2 nd batt and first, then just put electrical tape on it really tightly and itll work, but remember u must make a special charger. and thats it it takes like 5 mins

Jr08bll 03-31-2003 08:16 PM

Ok not real clear directions but @ least I know it will work!

BillyP 03-31-2003 08:18 PM

The Layman's Dual Cell Mod. :rolleyes:
I've linked that mod so many times it isn't even funny. You can get a good cheap soldering iron at All Electronics, a site which I enjoy linking over and over again.

Edit: Sorry about that, I fixed the link.

Jr08bll 03-31-2003 08:34 PM

Ok. The first link was to something COMPLETELY different from what we're talking about. The second - I didn't kno you have to buy REFILLS for the iron/gun (whats the difference between an Iron and a gun?

dabigpig 03-31-2003 08:42 PM

ok the difference between a iron and a gun is the shape one looks like a glorified pencil and the other looks about the size of a 9mm and the amount of power most irons arn't more than 40Watts and a gun well the lowest i have seen a gun is 100Watts the gun i use is huge and very scary to solder to bits with because it's variable from 240/325Watts. most people will tell you that if you buy a soldering iron get the most powerfull you can find because they heat up fastest. most irons take about a minute or two to get to the temp it takes to melt the solder whereas in my case my gun takes about 5-10 seconds. the need to errrr ummm "refill" a soldering gun is that you need to buy solder which comes on rolls from places like radioshack.

Jr08bll 03-31-2003 08:53 PM

Oh ok I see. But generally wouldn't I want an iron them instead of a GIANT sized very powerful gun since its such a small car?

dabigpig 03-31-2003 09:00 PM

Yup for a good multipourpous soldering iron for bits and fixing everything else that may break you'd probably want a 30-40 Watt soldering iron

Jr08bll 03-31-2003 10:33 PM

OK now I'm going to get a soldering iron but WHAT the HELL do I get for refills? Theres stuff called solder Pase, Solder Coil, and all of this other junk. Like the kinds are copper, aluminum, brass, and crap like that. WHAT DO I GET? Please help

BillyP 04-01-2003 02:41 PM

I think the stuff is just called solder. It comes like a big wire that, well, you can melt! I think my soldering iron is 30 watts, and it works fine.

xatu 04-01-2003 04:11 PM

The solder you should get should be on a coil, and it should be silver in color. Try to get some medium sized solder coils, not those big ass ones, because they solder other stuff.

dabigpig 04-01-2003 05:06 PM

allow me to ummm explane what he said in more technical terms with and explination as to how to how you should be looking for solder that would work for you. first off if you are only going to be soldering to bits getsomething really thin like .5mm because it is easyer to work with and you won't have to worry about drowning your components in solder. if you wanna fix everything that may break in the future get something a little thicker i use 1.2mm as an all pourpose solder but it's more of a personal preference and hey if you pic something too thick and you don't like it just buy something thinner it's only like $5 a roll so who cares.
Quote:

not those big ass ones, because they solder other stuff.
your probably thinking of pipeing solder so don't worry about accedently buying it at radioshack cuz you won't find it there. ummm i hope this helps you

dabigpig 04-01-2003 05:08 PM

and if you don't wanna buy a soldering iron/gun and solder you could buy a tube of this i personally haven't tryed it but it sound's neat
http://www.radioshack.com/images/Pro.../64/64-029.jpg
found here: http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=64%2D029

xatu 04-01-2003 05:16 PM

Is it like some gel stuff? Because my dad has some in a can, but I don't know if it would work as well or not.

dabigpig 04-01-2003 05:24 PM

i'm not sure how it works it almost sounds like it's a jell that you heat up and almost glues the wires together but i'm thinking it could also just be flux to help clean the wire's and help the solder stick but i'm not too sure

Jr08bll 04-01-2003 06:39 PM

Cool thanx! I haven't even got my FIRST Microsizer yet but I'm already planning a ****load of mods. But what I wanted the most is a Dual Cell which I can't get w/ out soldering it. Anyway I've got 2 cars on their way + a 3.8 motor.

strider_mt2k 04-02-2003 03:05 PM

fter reading this thread the only thing I can say is do a www.Google.com search on soldering to learn the basics and techniques.

A great place to start is at good ol' Radio Shmack. they sell an entire kit for soldering that includes all the stuff you'll need, as well as kits that average about 10 bux to learn to solder on.

Lesson #1 from me:

Don't learn to solder on something you value, like your car.
Sacrifice something like a cheap kit, or an old VCR.

BillyP 04-02-2003 03:35 PM

I learned how to solder on my old VCR!

I also learned from my dad that it's pronounced "sodder". Just in case you didn't know...

Look, I'm rolling my eyes at myself for saying "solder" :rolleyes:

xatu 04-02-2003 04:12 PM

I learned the expensive way to solder by soldering wires for my Legos. I had to buy new ones..... I melted the plastic :p

dabigpig 04-02-2003 05:13 PM

i remember when i was about 5 or 6 years old i would allways heat up the soldering gun and just keep feeding it solder LOL damn i started young. about the same time my favorite saying was can i take it apart? i wish i knew what i now now back then because there is stuff in my old model train box that i found hacked at and broken that i would like to have now from varous stuff i took apart ie... melted LED's beat to **** selonoids fans that i took the knife to while it was running. i also remember taking my old train set and crossing the tracks with a screwdriver to stop the train when a friend was driving also playing with flashlight bulbs on the tracks ohhh h the memories

xatu 04-02-2003 05:49 PM

Crossing the tracks with a screwdriver?!?!?!? That's short circuiting it! Imagine if there was a metal handle.... Oh the laughing my ass of at the person who is gettin electricuted memory... :p


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.