TinyRC.com

TinyRC.com (http://tinyrc.com/forums/index.php)
-   XMODS Mods and Projects (http://tinyrc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   New awesome antenna!!Diff. colors (http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18668)

civic freak 02-13-2004 11:38 PM

New awesome antenna!!Diff. colors
 
1 Attachment(s)
ok go to radio shack and look for the solderless jumper wire kit .just take the desired length and color strip it just a little more than it is alredy wrap around a small screwdriver (to mke the hole the screw goes through)and screw it in and your read to go.i made mine an internal and ive got more glitch free range than ever before!!






also seen here: http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=276-173

WhoMe 02-14-2004 04:53 PM

Post a tute on that..your post wasnt too clear..sounds good though

civic freak 02-14-2004 07:13 PM

What you'll need:
R.S. solderless jumper wire kit
Small screwdriver
Wire Stripper\Cutter

1.Take the the color\size wire you want.

2.Now take the screw out of the antenna hole.

3.Take the previous antenna off and do whatever you want to do with it.

4.Take the wire stripper and strip however much off you want if any.

5.Take the small screwdriver and wrap the wire around it 1-2 times.

6.Take the the screw that you took out earlier and screw on your knew stylish antenna!

Note: this step is if you want an internal antenna

7.Once again take out your screwdriver and wrap the rest of your antenna up around it.(Note: I had to lay mine flat so that the body wouldn't squish it flat.)

Sky_Liner 02-14-2004 08:41 PM

Hey there first I have to say this is my first post after viewing the site, I thought I would join. This is a pretty cool find and i might pick up an kit tommaro but I need you to clarify the internal step.
Are you coiling it up all the way so its like an ball or are you bending it out to lay flat?

if you could clarify this It would be appreciated :D

Peace:cool:

civic freak 02-14-2004 08:56 PM

sorry for the confusion
 
first off welcome to the forums,hope you have a good experience here!now about the antenna you wrap it around the screw driver so that it looks like a coil or a spring.what i had to do to make the body fit is lay the"coil" down flat or horizontal but still keeping its original shape, laying on its side if you will.

Sky_Liner 02-14-2004 09:16 PM

Thanks man, I will definatly pick this up, My range now glitches.
I will post how it goes for now Peace :cool:

enuke55 02-14-2004 11:18 PM

I have a different method.
 
I have heard of people doing that. The probelm is that you often get interference. My method is atking Plastic packaging and making a rectangular mounting plate take about 54inches of wire( about armspand) and weeve it through premade holes.

Its hard to give instructions.

d00kie 02-15-2004 12:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Do you mean something like this? (see attached picture)

Also, how long should the wire be? I'd like to keep my existing range for now. enuke's 54~ inch does look like a huge amount of wire to fit in the small compartment of the body-chassis (interior space anyone?)

enuke55 02-15-2004 06:03 PM

well trust me its for your benefit....
 
well the Pattern I use is thin and fits in any of my Bodies. Looks cool to, no stupid antenna easier to carry. And theres something where the frequency 2x should be how long for maxium range, I can drive my X-mod for about unlimited range, farther than I can see if.

Anyway its suprisingly not that much wire, its about armspanth for me.

civic freak 02-17-2004 06:17 PM

yes d00kie thats what im talkin about!as for the length i used the long green ones and i get range until i cant see it

neurokinetik 02-18-2004 08:21 AM

Re: I have a different method.
 
Quote:

Originally posted by enuke55
I have heard of people doing that. The probelm is that you often get interference.
Yes, keep in mind that the antenna has to be a certain length to get the best range. If it is drastically different, you may find your range to be quite poor.

I actually have that same kit at home. I think the size of the jumper you are using is pretty close to the stock XMods antenna size.

DakarV 02-18-2004 08:09 PM

If you guys could post a few pictures of your internal antenna, it would be cool.

enuke55, I noticed you mentioned a rectangular antenna, you mean something like the mini z internal antenna. What did you use to make it?

duwain 02-23-2004 07:41 PM

yeah, i looked at the kit at RS yesterday and civic freak, did you keep twisting the green wires together to make them longer, because to me, it looked like there were just like 5 inch strips of the green wire, also the talk about teh 54 inch wire, what would you use for that, and doesnt something short if the wire touches the heatsink. i require clarification. anything to boost my range would be awesome.

civic freak 02-24-2004 05:17 PM

well yes and no ,i made one antenna with just one green wire yes thay are about 5" long, and for a racing antenna i took 3 of the green ones and twisted them together and then heatshrinked the whole thing and it gets so much range with that thing on there its gets so small its like little dot and it still got about 20' to go!:D :eek:

duwain 02-24-2004 07:05 PM

do you think it would be all right to just use electrical tape, because i dont have any heatshrink. also, for the antenna that you said you can get so good range on, did you make that one internal, or external? sorry for all the questions, i just think that an internal antenna would be awesome. also, is there any risk with an internal antenna with it like touching a heatsink or anything, or is that the battery wires that will short it out. i cant remember this stuff, and im not very learned with electronics.

madpilot1 02-24-2004 10:10 PM

nice, i like the internal antenna idea. i think ill try it.

Laszlo 03-10-2004 11:51 AM

would a regular antena wire work? like the 1 used on some stereos? cuz i got a bunch of those laying around

xmodsman 03-10-2004 04:55 PM

sorry civic freak but i said that way back when and pictorial
 
i said stuff about making an antenna a while ago.

here is my tutorial witth pics.
http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread....threadid=17481

hope u understand.

civic freak 03-26-2004 11:11 PM

oh, i didnt mean to steal your idea i didnt even know you had posted that thread im sorry dude. ;)

eetoi 03-29-2004 02:09 PM

I got some 22 gauge solid wire, and soldered it to the little black wire that connects to the antenna, made it internal and it had crappy range! How long a piece did you use? Isn't that solderless jumper wire kit just a bunch of solid wire with tinned ends?

civic freak 03-29-2004 06:03 PM

Ummm, i dont really know what "Tinned" ends are but they are bent at a 90 degree angle. I dont know how long it is but i used the long green one in the kit.I think i know why you got crappy range did you coil it or just make it really short? If you just made it short thats why.

aperson 03-29-2004 07:35 PM

eetoi, the wire should be 1,2,3 times longer than the stock antenna. that could be your problem. and i dont think that coiling it will help range, only take up less space. unless you wrap the wire around the car very carefully.

EDIT: a tinned wire is a wire end that has been stripped and has been heated up and had solder melted onto it. it makes the wire slightly larger because of the solder but gives you a better connection to whatever you're soldering to.

eetoi 03-29-2004 07:53 PM

Thanks for explaining the tinned part, aperson. I didn't ciol the wire, I sort of bent it so it would fit... Okay, I just stuffed it in between my body and chassis, but I didn't know it had to be that long! Can I just make it longer and then stuff it in the body?

aperson 03-29-2004 08:04 PM

yes as long as it is at least the same size of the stock antenna. or it can be 2 times as long, or 3 times as long, or 4 times as long, etc... you said that you soldered it directly onto the wire coming out of the PCB? you can do that as long as you cover the place where you soldered it. i'd use heat shrink tubing because it doesn't move like electrical tape can. also put some on the end of the wire, so that a little bit will shrink around the end just to be safe. that way you shouldn't fry your L2 coil. you can experiment with different lengths though. RS may not have "tuned" then antenna before they came out of the factory.

eetoi 03-29-2004 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by aperson
i'd use heat shrink tubing because it doesn't move like electrical tape can.

RS may not have "tuned" then antenna before they came out of the factory.

I did just that! bought some heat shrink tubing a few days ago... It doesn't seem to exactly "shrink" though... It looks like it just got thicker with more on the inside... I used a match and held it to the side of the flame, is this bad? Should I use a hairdryer?

Also, about the tuning, can I just make the antenna (including the length of the black wire) 7, 14, or 28 inches like Typezero said here ? It looks like my tuning has been done for me...

aperson 03-29-2004 08:19 PM

yeah you can, thats just 4 times the regular size. the regular size is about 7 inches.

civic freak 05-19-2004 08:37 PM

aperson i think you are wrong about just stuffing it in there. that will "ground" ( i really dont know what its called thats just what i call it) it i guess you would say if the antenna touches something it will always decrease tha range of the car.;)

aperson 05-20-2004 08:44 AM

if the wire touches something in the car it is called grounding, yes.

civic freak 05-20-2004 05:03 PM

ok thanks wasnt quite sure about that thanx 4 clearin that up


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.